- Venue Type: Dive Bar, Carnival Freak Show, Live Music Venue
- Estimated Size: 200
- Amenities: Happy hour, open 7 days a week, bar food, live music, karaoke, variety and side shows, burlesque
- Cover Charge: $0 – $15
- Hours: Daily 5PM-Last Call
- Dress Code: Anything Goes
- Age Requirement: 18+ (depending on the show)
- Neighborhood: H Street
- Address: 1212 H Street NE, Washington, DC 20002. (202) 399 3201
- Website: www.redpalacedc.com
- Atmosphere: With the merger of the two beloved dives Palace of Wonder and The Red & Black, their love child, The Red Palace was born unto H St. as an indie rock, freak show haven for hipsters and scenesters of all ages (depending on the show). The rockin’ burlesque venue mashed everything you love about a dive bar- cheap drinks, no dress code, hardcore drinkers with a circus side show freak fest. Come to check out the tassel twirling burlesque dancers, indie bands, and variety shows while you knock back eclectically named beer and no named whiskey shots!
This place is Freak Show, Circus, Vaudeville, Kitch, and bar rolled into one amazing package. Downstairs, the vibe remains mostly dive bar with 2 full bars, tables, booths, photos on the ceiling and lit-up wizards’ heads from boardwalks of yester year. Beer lists on chalkboards, with selections like Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian Style I.P.A., Lagunitas Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’, Founder’s Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale, Stoudt’s Fat Dog Imperial Oatmeal Stout, draft beer selections and much more.
The upstairs, to the live music space complete with exposed beams, creaky floors, and a wooden bar reminiscent of an abandoned shed. There is no seating upstairs, thus to encourage dancing and mingling amongst guests, but there is an outdoor patio for the warm months.
Performances can include trapeze artists, fire dancers, burlesque performers and a guy who actually hammered a nail into his face and bicep.
The dark lit funhouse is full of freakish oddities including mannequins of elephant men, a shriveled 5-legged dog in a case, babies in jars and what looked like a pair of lips in a jar of formaldehyde.
If you still have an appetite, The Red Palace just added a full kitchen, which churns out a menu of gourmet burgers and sandwiches, appetizers, salads, tons of delicious sides and desserts. Don’t worry there are no babies with a dorsal fin or 100 year old eggs on the menu.
Happy Hour: 5PM-8PM Daily
Tuesday 1/2 Priced Burger Night
Check Calendar for Full Music Line-Ups
Latest Updates from Red Palace
How’d ya like The Red Palace? Share your feedback below!
Put down the pom-poms and leave the hateraid at home. We want honest, real feedback. No cheerleaders, no pissed off rants.
Feedback that does not fit within these guidelines will not be approved.Tweet